[packman] GStreamer on 13.1

Cristian Morales Vega reddwarf at opensuse.org
Mon Nov 11 15:57:36 CET 2013

On 11 November 2013 14:12, Richard Brown <RBrownCCB at opensuse.org> wrote:
> With the current Packman packages in your 13.1 repos, we seem to hit a
> problem which make your packages unusable - the userspace tools (eg.
> Totem) appear to be requiring gstreamer version 1.0.x, but as Packman
> provides 1.2.x, there’s currently no way to play proprietary media on
> 13.1

"appear"?

> If you try, you often just get the auto solver pop up, and then
> subsequently freak out when it tries to install both 1.0.x and 1.2.x and
> they conflict with each other

You shouldn't try to install both, only 1.2. Can I see that "auto
solver pop up"?

> Can we get all the packages for 13.1 set to gstreamer 1.0.x, or find out
> what's really going on?

>From http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/news/
"The GStreamer team is pleased to announce the first release of the
stable 1.2 release series. The 1.2 release series is adding new
features on top of the 1.0 series and is part of the API and
ABI-stable 1.x release series of the GStreamer multimedia framework
that contains new features."

I didn't have time (or a proper computer) to check. But AFAIKT
GStreamer 1.2 is 100% compatible with GStreamer 1.0. What's the
problem?
If the problem is that the Totem package is hardcoding a dependency to
GStreamer == 1.0 then what must be fixed is the Totem package. But
looking at https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE:13.1/totem
I can't see such a thing.