[packman] x264 10-bit Update

Marguerite Su i at marguerite.su
Tue Mar 5 10:55:05 CET 2013

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Thomas Guymer
<t.m.guymer at thomasguymer.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>         I just updated my x264 installation to use 0.129 from Packam (previously
> it was 0.128 from Packman) on openSUSE 12.2 and now my scripts to encode
> videos are not working because they say "x264 [error]: baseline profile doesn't
> support a bit depth of 10". I managed to trace the problem to x264 suddenly
> being shipped in 10-bit mode - was this a mistake? I note that you were the
> one who provided the latest update. Does Packman intend on continuing to ship
> x264 in 10-bit mode? Is there a work around for using 10-bit mode and "-profile
> baseline" simultaneously?

Hi, Tom,

Let's `default to open` so others with the same problem can find the answer.

Here's my concern when enable `10 bit` sample depth for x264:

Benefits:

* It will loss less quality while processing.
* It will reduce the file size and improve the quality.
* It is the default setting for Windows encoding application MeGUI,
which is popular among youtube uploaders. So there must be something
good in this mode.

Shortcomings:

* It consumes a little more resources when decoding.
* It can't use baseline/main/high profiles. (I didn't know it before,
because I always use --preset and --tune combination as upstream
advised)

Under such concern, I enabled the 10bit depth.

So can you explain under what situation you need to encode with a
`baseline` profile?

As I know, such profile are pretty _basic_, it limits usage of many
advanced features of x264 so that it can't show the advantage of using
x264 to encode.

If you're encoding a video, actually high444 profile is the most
commonly used one. it can produce HD video with an acceptable size.

Greetings

Marguerite