[packman] VLC media player

Cristian Morales Vega reddwarf at opensuse.org
Sat Mar 2 14:36:41 CET 2013

There was never a exhaustive set of rules written. And actually I am
not sure they could be written.

Answering your question. Why is VLC in Essentials? The answer perhaps
is not a good one. But I would say it's just because when the split
was done VLC was a very popular player (I guess it continues being it)
and a single person decided to put it there. If it's so popular that
everybody will add the Multimedia repo to have it what's the point of
splitting Essentials from Multimedia?

It is wrong? Perhaps:
* True, it's a full multimedia application -> Let's move it to Multimedia
* But it's also a library (libvlc) that can be used to create other
applications -> Essentials
* But in practice libvlc has never been as popular as GStreamer or
libxine -> Multimedia
* It's not "essential" enough for openSUSE to package it as it does
with libxine -> Multimedia
* That's probably just because nobody wants to do the hard and boring
work of working through the legal problems of creating a cripped
package. Otherwise it would be there. -> Essentials
* The Phonon backend depends on it. For sure Phonon backends are as
low level/essential as anything could ever be for KDE -> Essentials

No easy answer. Let's just keep it in Essentials.