[packman] Build host memory limits

Hendrik Vogelsang hvogel at hennevogel.de
Thu Jul 25 10:24:31 CEST 2013

Yo,

On 24.07.2013 12:23, Stefan Botter wrote:
> On Monday, July 22, 2013 05:54:28 PM Guido Berhoerster wrote:
>> So everything has settled down now but my package is still in
>> scheduled state which indicates that the constrints cannot be
>> staisfied for some reason (see
>> http://openbuildservice.org/help/manuals/obs-reference-guide/cha.obs.
>> build_job_constraints.html ). The _constraints file is at
>> https://pmbs.links2linux.de/package/view_file?expand=1&file=_constrai
>> nts&package=mame&project=Games
>>
>> Especially the x86_64 variants need a build host that has more
>> than 1GB available during linking or builds will fail.
>
> I am not really sure, how the contraints management in OBS is working
> (regarding the workers). As usual the documentation is sparse at best. I
> do not know how the dispatcher gets to know of the capabilities of
> workers, and if this is a feature in newer versions of the workers only.

The hardware get's analyzed every time a build is run (see
$workerenvstate in bs_worker) and with the _constraints file you can
match against that.

> My workers "should" provide the necessary resources, at least swkj04 and
> swkj07, the workers run in chroot mode and have thus, at least
> potentially, access to the whole system resources, as long as the other
> processed do not fill up their (RAM)disks to the max.

In the same function you'll find the explanation. memory is undefined in
non vm mode since no guarantees exist :-)

> In the past - before the crash and before I added my workers, there were
> at least three more workers provided by [not me], which are now "lost in
> time and space" - meaning, I do not know who ran them and how to contact
> them. These machines obviously had no problem compiling resource-hungry
> packages.

You should have all the access info in the backup, AFAIR it involved
also an openvpn setup somehow...

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang