[packman] Build host memory limits

Guido Berhoerster guido+links2linux.de at berhoerster.name
Mon Jul 22 17:54:28 CEST 2013

* Stefan Botter <jsj at jsj.dyndns.org> [2013-07-19 18:51]:
> Hi Guido,
>
> On Friday, July 19, 2013 04:37:49 PM Guido Berhoerster wrote:
> > Games/mame randomly fails to build, apparently it is runs out of
> > memory during linking. I tried adding build job constraints
> > requiring more that 1500M of physical memory, however the jobs
> > now stay in scheduled state forever, so I guess there are no
> > xen/kvm worker vms configured with more the 1GB of memory?
>
> All my workers - that are all there are right now! - are configured as
> follows:
> swkj01, swkj02, swkj03, swkj05, swkj06
> 2 CPU
> 8 GB RAM
> 16 GB HDD
> 2 worker processes in one 8GB RAM disk
>
> and swkj04 and swkj07
> 4 CPU
> 16GB RAM
> 16GB HDD
> 4 worker processes in one 16GB RAM disk
>
> It is possible, that the RAM disk runs full and then the worker dies, as there
> is no more RAM. Happens, but the packets get assigned to 04 or 07 eventually
> and build through.
>
> I do have a number of older DELL PE 1950 for my experiments, I have equipped
> them with RAM over time. The disk storage is a written off IDE RAID box with
> 16 250GB PATA disks in a 12 disk RAID 10, behind 2 PE 1850s as HA NFS server.
> As there is disk space, it is not that fast, it host other machines of mine
> also. So there is no I/O left for workers.
>

> Probably now there are no free workers with approx 3000 packages waiting to
> build, and home projects are dispatched with a lower priority than the main
> repos.
>
> Just wait until the build load reduces.

So everything has settled down now but my package is still in
scheduled state which indicates that the constrints cannot be
staisfied for some reason (see
http://openbuildservice.org/help/manuals/obs-reference-guide/cha.obs.build_job_constraints.html ).
The _constraints file is at
https://pmbs.links2linux.de/package/view_file?expand=1&file=_constraints&package=mame&project=Games

Especially the x86_64 variants need a build host that has more
than 1GB available during linking or builds will fail.
--
Guido Berhoerster