[packman] Build host memory limits

Stefan Botter jsj at jsj.dyndns.org
Wed Aug 7 15:15:45 CEST 2013

Hi Guido,

On Thursday, July 25, 2013 11:28:32 AM Stefan Botter wrote:
> Hi Guido,
>
> On Thursday, July 25, 2013 11:21:41 AM Guido Berhoerster wrote:
> > * Stefan Botter <jsj at jsj.dyndns.org> [2013-07-25 10:58]:
> > > So having the _contraints in an all-chroot env is worthless, or
> > > better "buildless" ;-)
> >
> > That's not good, it means the build success of such packages
> > essentially depends on the build host's current load. That's what
> > I've been experiencing before the recent outage where I needed to
> > manually trigger builds that take ~ 40min until they fail during
> > linking numerous times until they succeeded.
>
> OK, let me test this.
> I will prepare a worker, which employs vm's. This will take some
> time, though, as I am currently at work, there are _lots_ of issues
> here, and I have an update of our university build server pending.
> + I have to round up a machine equuipped for the task ...

Picking up here, Yesterday and today I tried to deploy a worker with kvm
for the individual worker tasks.
As I could only use a VMware Workstation virtual machine I tried with a
one-instance machine. That seems to work, but all of a sudden all other
machines on the WS were *horrible* slow on I/O, with the result, that I
had to reboot my machine (it is my everyday workstation, where swkj04
runs on, too). The worker ran for approx. 2h, and *may* have compiled
one mame package successfully, if it finished until I killed my machine.
So it basically works, but I cannot provide such a worker ATM.

As I saw you removed the constraints, so that mame is now building on
the chroot workers.

Again the call to $broadcast_address: If you (all, not just Guido) is
able to provide (a) worker(s), please get in touch with me.

Greetings,

Stefan
--
Stefan Botter zu Hause