[packman] [PMBS] SR 227 Essentials/ffmpeg

Cristian Morales Vega reddwarf at opensuse.org
Tue May 29 20:57:34 CEST 2012

On 29 May 2012 19:14, Manfred Tremmel <manfred at links2linux.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, 28. Mai 2012, 23:24:25 schrieb PMBS:
>> New submit request 227 on ffmpeg by RedDwarf
>> https://pmbs.links2linux.org/request/show/227
>>
>> - Remove incorrect obsoletes
>
> What's wrong with this obsoletes entries? I've inserted both some time
> ago, after renaiming and splitting the ffmpeg package to get rid of old
> package and prevent from conflicts.

Just after the renaming they were OK. But when the package was named
libffmpeg0 it provided... what? libavcodec36? Now it's false that
libavcodec54 obsoletes libavcodec36 since you may need both (for
programs compiled against one or the other). Just because of this they
are wrong.

And the problem is that libavcodec53 provided libffmpeg0. If
libavcodec54 obsoletes libffmpeg0, it obsoletes libavcodec53. Since
there were some packages already compiled against libavcodec54 and
others failed to build (but the old versions were still available in
the repo compiled against libavcodec53)... users needed libavcodec53
and libavcodec54 installed at the same time. The Obsoletes didn't
allow that since installing libavcodec54 triggered the uninstall of
libavcodec53.