[packman] Package update workflow?

Manfred Tremmel manfred at links2linux.de
Fri May 4 23:49:27 CEST 2012

Am Freitag, 4. Mai 2012, 18:36:26 schrieb Cristian Morales Vega:

> transcode is dead, let's accept it. And I see 11 packages that require
> it. Either the dependencies are wrong or those packages should have
> already started to move to something else. Those packages are usually
> DVD related... we are in 2012!!! DVDs??? Who uses those any more?

I maintaine some packages which are not updated for years, but used by
other packages, like transcode. What's the alternate to DVD's on linux?
Blue-Ray Disks with HDCP, AACS and BD+ or Video On Demand over Internet
with DRM and no Linux clients? DVDs are well supported and CSS is no
real problem, so it simply works with linux.
As long as I can manage transcode to build with new gcc versions and new
library versions from e.g. ffmpeg and no security problems are known,
why should we drop it?

> But more important. I somebody sees in the metadata that a package has
> a maintainer (even if that maintainer is not available any more) he
> is not going to offer himself to be the new maintainer.

In the past we lost a lot of maintainer entries in the packages, I don't
know when and why this happend. I'm also a littel bit confused, because
osc commands have changed a while ago. I'm not sure, how to set
maintainer entry for my packages once again.

--
Machs gut    | http://www.iivs.de/schwinde/buerger/tremmel/

Manfred      | http://packman.links2linux.de/