[packman] Maintainers speak up

Willem Franssen willemfranssen at planet.nl
Sat May 5 02:11:39 CEST 2012

Here is not a Maintainer speaking up, but an average user , the so
called Joe User, speaking up. I'm using OpenSUSE since version 10.2, so
about 5 years, although in a dual boot with Windows. In general I'm very
satisfied with OpenSUSE, now I'm using version 12.1 + KDE 4.7.2

First let me stress I couldn't use OpenSUSe without the good work of all
you maintainers and packagers. In my experience providing third party
software for OpenSUSE has grown worse since Packman went in a kind of
disarray. I do regret this very much. What you're discussing here imho
is a perfect example of one of the great weaknesses of the concept
behind the mirad of different Linux-distributions and their silly
upgrade cycles of every 6, or 8 months.

Am I really a Joe User? I don't think so, cause otherwise I wouldn't
never ever have heard of Linux. Nevertheless I know what I want as a Joe
User: a stable OS, a stable core and INDEPENDENT applications. Is this
Windows chit chat? No it is what the hundreds of different Linux
communities never wished to consider and what they're facing the results
of now: after 20 years Linux never made it to the common desktop and
imho with this idiot and userunfriendly concept it never will. In other
words: maintainers, packagers and Joe User are in a way the victims of
the same wrong concept. Besides that this concept hinders imho fast
development and proper promotion of several good Linux-applications and
blocks the entrance of many (proprietary) GAMES. For instance: why do I
have to wait on LibreOffice 3.5 with new features while it is out now
for about 5 months (well this is not a Packman-case actually, but it's a
symptom of what is going worse with OpenSUSE), why do I have to wait a
long while on VLC 2.0 and - when it arrives finally - there is no
vlc-mozillaplugin, why do I have to wait  several months on WinFF 1.4.2
(the Enzokiel-packages didn't work) untill the Packman team (or what's
been left of it) had the time to package (and now it works fine)? Cause
you're all locked up in the wrong concept.

Please don't misunderstand me: I"m not blaming you, I'm not blaming the
OpenSUSE distribution, I blame the concept behind all Linux desktop
distributions. It simply doesn't make sense. What do I as Joe User
expect a Linux distribution to be?

1. an OS  I don't need to upgrade every six (Ubuntu), or eight
(OpenSUSE) months. If a new Linux-kernel provides  new and/ or
additional drivers I want to be able to install those drivers in my
current installed Linux-os, without breaking the whole system.
2. I want a standardised and unificied install-mechanism for all
Linux-distributions.
3. I want to get rid of the silly fragmentation in different audio- and
video systems and frameworks. I can't explain to any person why there is
jack, phonon, alsa, you name it (for instance).
4. I want to be able to make my own update/upgrade/install decisions
without being dependent on the work and available time of maintainers
and packagers. Some geeks would say now: well compile it yourself from
source. Wrong answer: Joe User never will do that. He wants to use the
software, not compile it. Should I built my own car before buying and
driving it? Come on!
5. Let's get rid of the horrible incompatibility of libraries and
protocols, let's get rid of the dependency-relationships while updating,
let's introduce backward compatibility, let applications have their own
standardized Linux-installer, etc., etc.
6. I want to use my current installed Linux-os for many years to come,
meanwhile being able to install the newest versions of applications
without breaking the system, breaking dependencies, or being forced to
uninstall other applications or packages.
6 Finally: if the above came true application developpers could maintain
and package their apps themselves for every Linux-distribution and new
versions would be available for Joe User directly and independently and
without any concern of messing up the system.

Well there should be something to dream of, shouldn't it? And if, over
ten years, these dreams come true, no one is using a desktop anymore.
I'm not an IT-geek or professional, so I might have described some
technical facts wrong. But you know what I mean, don't you?

I appreciate your work, I can't use OpenSUSE without it.
Have fun, kind regards
Willem Franssen