[packman] Package update workflow?

Cristian Morales Vega reddwarf at opensuse.org
Fri May 4 16:58:33 CEST 2012

On 4 May 2012 15:39, Stefan Seyfried <stefan.seyfried at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> a small question wrt. the workflow in pmbs -- in order to not step on
> anyone's toes :-)
>
> In order to update clipgrab to the latest version, I have linked it into
> home:seife and updated it there. It builds fine.
>
> The question is: what to do now? Submitrequest and self-accept?
> Submitrequest and wait for somebody else to accept?
>
> Should I commit directly to Extra next time? (I wouldn't like that
> because I usually want to test if it really builds and works... :-)

Good question. In my first commit I was said to never again create a
branch because the build power was too limited. Then people complained
because of committing directly. Once I got a submit request I didn't
like accepted by somebody else. I saw people in this mailing list
discussing different ways to fix something and never getting an answer
(and the problem remained unfixed).

Now I created a bug (PM-15) and a submit request (#192) for a fix that
for me is so obvious that shouldn't require any discussion. And for a
package that I don't think has any real active maintainer any more (I
guess Pascal will be the one to accept it).
So... there is no clear policy. And if you trust the
maintainer/bugowner tags in the package metadata it's easy to be
worried about stepping on the toes of somebody that isn't there.