[packman] A noise bug in gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mp3

Philipp Seiler p.seiler at linuxmail.org
Mon Mar 26 09:34:10 CEST 2012

Hi all,

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 11:52:18 -0700
dh <mesamoo115 at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Sunday, March 25, 2012, Joon Ro wrote:
> > I am not sure if this mailing list is the right place to report a
> > bug, but I could not find any other place to do so.
> >
> > It seems there is a bug in gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mp3 package. With
> > this package, when I play certain mp3 files in Banshee or Amarok, I
> > hear constant noises in the background.
> >
> > There is a related thread in the openSUSE forum:
> > http://forums.opensuse.org/forums/english/get-technical-help-here/multime
> > dia/472364-strange-noise-mp3-playback-banshee-amarok-not-mplayer.html
> >
> > The package in the update repo in openSUSE does not have this bug.
>
> I have had the same issue, it seems to occur most frequently w/ mp3
> files that are encoded at 320kbps. I had gotten as far as deciding it
> was a gstreamer issue, but hadn't gotten further.
>
> Will try the gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mp3 from updates to see if that
> helps.
>
> Thanks for posting, it is a dificult issue to explain clearly.

I installed these gstreamer packages and my mp3 support works perfectly:

gstreamer-0_10 -> packman
gstreamer-0_10-buzztard -> packman
gstreamer-0_10-ffmpeg -> packman
gstreamer-0_10-libnice -> openSUSE OSS
gstreamer-0_10-plugin-crystalhd -> openSUSE OSS
gstreamer-0_10-plugin-esd -> packman
gstreamer-0_10-plugin-gnomevfs -> packman
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad -> packman
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base -> packman
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good -> packman
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-debuginfo -> packman
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly -> packman
libgstreamer-0_10-0 -> packman
libgstreamer-0_10-0-32bit -> packman
phonon-backend-gstreamer-0_10 -> packman
python-gstreamer-0_10 -> openSUSE OSS

gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mp3 ist not installed. I had also the problem,
with the sound when I had installed the fluendo-mp3 package. I think
Support for mp3 files is in gstreamer bad or ugly. I don't know where
exactly. I think these to packages (fluendo mp3 and bad/ugly) doesn't
agree with each other.

Just remove gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mp3 and check if most of the
packages above are installed on your system.

Regards

Philipp

--
Philipp Seiler