[packman] libxine 1.2

Manfred Tremmel manfred at links2linux.de
Fri Mar 2 20:15:13 CET 2012

Am Freitag, 2. März 2012, 17:23:35 schrieb Cristian Morales Vega:
> From
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/xine/files/xine-lib/1.2.0/README.txt.
> asc/view it seems the only reason the soname was changed is because of
> "Reorder and modify public structures to reduce the holes caused by
> padding especially on 64-bit architectures". Is this correct?

AFAIK this is correct. All I've tried to compile agains the new xine-
lib, dit it.

> In such a case there should be no need to maintain both versions of
> the packages since the API has not changed.

That's right, but at the moment, we do have packages delivered from
openSUSE, we do not have ourselve in the repo using libxine1. If I would
drop our libxine1 package, this programs wouldn't be able to play the
formats which are only supported by the codecs subpackage.

> There can be real concerns... I can't check right now if the libraries
> use symbol versioning to avoid the usual problems of mixing the two
> libraries. Just want to know what's the current situation. What's
> your plan here?

I've switched all the frontends (xine-ui, gxine, kaffeine for kde3 and
kde4) on packman to use the new libxine2. I also would like to add the
new package to multimedia:xine on OBS but I haven't found the time to
take a deeper look into the script that creates crippled tarballs. And
I'm also not sure to find the time in the near future (not in the next
two weeks).

--
Machs gut    | http://www.iivs.de/schwinde/buerger/tremmel/

Manfred      | http://packman.links2linux.de/