[packman] Future of PackMan?

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 12:04:24 CET 2012

On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 10:56 PM, Detlef Reichelt <detlef at die-mafia.de> wrote:
> Moin,
>
> what should we do in the future? What is the goal of PackMan?
>
> Should we build only multimedia and non crippled stuff for openSUSE?
>
> Detlef

I think the best approach would be, wherever it is allowed by OBS
policy, to merge Packman packages into the appropriate semi-official
repositories.  They can be linked from there in Packman, but they
should "live" in the appropriate OBS project.  This should not
substantially increase the workload for Packman packagers, since it is
only a couple of clicks to submit packages back to their "official"
repo.

An additional possibility would be for these packages to be linked
into a Packman repo on the official OBS instance.  The reason for this
is to free up build resources on the Packman servers.  Packman's OBS
can then just aggregate all these files into Packman's OBS servers so
they appear in Packman's repos without needing to be rebuilt on
Packman's servers.  This would allow Packman maintainers to control
the packages while using the OBS servers to do the building, while
being transparent to users.  This has the added advantage that anyone
worried about non-oss or patent-encumbered packages will be able to
use the OBS packman instead of the official one.  The possible
disadvantage is that it might cause some confusion amongst users.

-Todd