[packman] vlc 2.0

Pascal Bleser pascal.bleser at opensuse.org
Thu Apr 5 17:09:29 CEST 2012

On 2012-04-05 16:02:30 (+0100), Cristian Morales Vega <reddwarf at opensuse.org> wrote:
> On 5 April 2012 15:45, Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser at opensuse.org> wrote:
> > Henne added SLE-11-SP2. And why go with SP1 if we can go with SP2 ?

> SP1 seems to be the oldest supported version. Building against it
> warranties it will work with all the supported versions of SLE-11
> (those being SP1 and SP2, but no GA).

> > I mean, this compatibility thing is only half true: e.g. SP2
> > ships with Qt >= 4.8, while "SP0" doesn't.

> Which means a binary build against SP2 perhaps will not work in SP0.
> But a binary build in SP0 will work in SP2 (if you trust Qt ABI is
> 100% stable).

Yes, but there are things we can build on SP2 which we can't
build on SP1 (e.g. vlc 2.x).

I guess that the ideal setup then would be to build Essentials
against SP1, and then only build against SP2 when we can't build
against SP1.

The trouble though is that users of SP2 need to add both the
(Packman) repo for SP1 and the (Packman) repo for SP2, at least
if they want to use those additional packages (such as vlc 2.x).
Still sounds like a viable option, but IMHO experience shows
that this kind of information is very difficult to get across to
users.

Opinions?

cheers
--