[packman] [PM] k3b 2.0.2-1.pm.2.2 (openSUSE 11.2/x86_64)

Pascal Bleser pascal.bleser at opensuse.org
Tue May 17 22:01:45 CEST 2011

On 2011-05-17 14:29:13 (+0200), Frank Steiner <frank.steiner at ifi.lmu.de> wrote:
> Hi Pascal.

Hi Frank

[...]
> The only package we failed with for our SLED desktops is k3b. It has no
> SLE_11 version and the 11.3 version fails on SLED 11 SP1 due to wrong
> kdebase4-runtime etc. packages.
>
> Is there a chance that instead of just dropping the 11.2 versions (as
> you will surely do at some time) some of the packages could be moved
> to the SLE_11 repository? SLED 11 SP1 and openSuSE 11.2 are almost 100%
> compatible so that packages that you built for 11.2 so far should build
> on SLE_11 without changes.

I'm afraid that the problem in this case is that k3b 2.0.2
(which is the latest version and also the one we maintain in our
Essentials repository) does not build on SLE11 and nor does it
do on openSUSE 11.2, simply because the KDE framework there is
too old (it requires 4.3.85, and SLE11 has 4.1.3).

There is really no way to solve this except
1) package an older version of k3b that requires a version of
   KDE that is present on SLE11 (and openSUSE 11.2)
2) build against KDE:Distro:Factory which is available for
   SLE 11 SP1 on download.o.o repositories (*)

(*)http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Distro:/Factory/SLE_11_SP1/

The problems with those approaches are
1) that version is unmaintained by definition, as it is an old
   release, and it will be really hard to find a version that
   works with an older KDE framework -- that might have to be
   the last KDE3 (!) release of k3b

2) that means that you *must* have that repository and its KDE
   version installed on your SLE 11, which voids the support on
   KDE there (not very cool), and also that we have to jump
   through a few hoops on our side (but doable)

cheers
--
  -o) Pascal Bleser
  /\\ http://opensuse.org -- we haz green