[packman] Relationship with contrib

Pascal Bleser pascal.bleser at opensuse.org
Tue Mar 1 11:06:54 CET 2011

On 2011-02-28 16:24:46 (-0500), todd rme <toddrme2178 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It looks like several packages found in packman are also found in the
> contrib repo.  This includes both octave and wxwidgets, at the very
> least.  Should packman defer to contrib when both share the same
> pacakges?

Well, the idea and our "philosophy" here has always been that
the Packman repositories may only depend on the OSS repository,
and not have dependencies on packages that are provided in other
repositories (except OSS).

There is some duplication, of course, but not necessarily behind
the scenes: as we are using the openSUSE Build Service (our own
instance, not the one at build.opensuse.org), we can link
packages from build.opensuse.org projects into our repository.

As an example, we do build and provide taglib packages in our
repository, but it is linked with the taglib package in the
multimedia:libs project on build.opensuse.org
That means that we are using the exact same sources (and patches
and .spec file, ...) as there. And as soon as a change is
applied to the package in multimedia:libs on build.o.o, our OBS
instance at Packman rebuilds it as well.

That sort of duplication will at least prevent conflicts from
happening, as they result in the exact same packages (at least
almost always, let's not go into the nitty gritty details of
transitive dependencies and their potential side effects), with
the same version, the same package names, etc...

cheers
--
  -o) Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser at opensuse.org>
  /\\ http://opensuse.org -- I took the green pill