[packman] mjpegtools 2.0.0-1

Dave Plater davejplater at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 04:54:00 CEST 2011

On 06/09/2011 08:15 PM, Manfred Tremmel wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 9. Juni 2011 schrieb yahoo-pier_andreit:
>> from tumbleweed I'm trying to update to mjpegtools 2.0.0-1 from
>> 1.9.0.0 but yast shows me this conflicts:
> I'll take a look on it this weekend. If I'm not able to fix the
> gstreamer incompatibility with mjpegtools 2.0.0 I'll add a mjpegtools
> compatibility package with the old libs.

The developers of mjpegtools are misguided about library versioning. I attempted to update openSUSE multimedia:libs to 2.0.0rc1 last
December and eventually reverted to the existing 1.9.0. The libraries are at major version 2 and they end up like this
"liblavfile-2.0.so.0.0.0" but the unversioned devel link is "liblavfile.so". There's no logic here at all, if the developer wanted parallel
installable libraries why not match the devel parts too and install the headers in versioned directories. To cut a long story short I filed
an upstream bug and started to fix the library build to give proper so numbers because 2.0.0rc1 broke gstreamer in factory and because
there was plenty of other things to update and fix for the looming release of 11.4, I reverted to the old version and gstreamer was happy.
If you patch gstreamer to work with a broken package it will complicate matters more, rather revert to 1.9.0 and help to fix the real
problem with 2.0.0.. When I saw Packman had 2.0.0 I thought that it would have a fixed build, unfortunately not.  As all this happened at
the beginning of February I can't be sure but AFAIR I had gone as far as tracing the gstreamer problem to the lib builds in mjpegtools,
I've started to pick at mjpegtools again and it will become priority one after I've finished a few other packages.
I have to cope with openSUSE library policy and I'm not sure what the eventual outcome of library developers making their own method of
shared library parallel installation, I'm working on a new package where the dev has done the same as this but it's new and not as
important as mjpegtools which can silently break plenty of packages and render multimedia unusable.

I'm about too collapse into bed, coffee doesn't work anymore so please ask for clarification on anything I've said that sounds insulting
because that's not my intention. I'm cc ing opensuse-packaging for comments and guidance.

Regards
Dave Plater
Maintainer openSUSE
multimedia libs and apps