[packman] MPlayer issues with DivX and VDPAU

oldcpu oldcpu at opensuse-forums.org
Fri Jan 28 08:10:12 CET 2011

Exploring this issue on openSUSE forums, it appears the problem is
related to a rather specific way of using MPlayer with VDPAU.

I tested on openSUSE-11.3 PCs (32-bit and 64-bit) with proprietary
nVidia 260.19.29 and 260.19.36 proprietary graphic driver, and with rpms:

MPlayer-1.0rc4_r32749-1.pm.2.2
libvdpau1-0.4-5.6

and it affects nVidia graphic cards that have Feature Set-A and Feature
Set-B of VDPAU but not cards with Feature Set-C of VDPAU.

ie the problem is with the command

mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffmpeg12vdpau,ffh264vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,
sample.avi

(note the comma after ffvc1vdpau) will on Feature-Set-A and B cards will
still try to load the ffodivxvdapu decoder, when they should not (as
that decode is not available).

However the command
mplayer sample.avi

will still work on the PCs I tested (openSUSE-11.3 with a mix of 32-bit
and 64-bit, all with proprietary video driver).

I tested on:

(1) FX5200 which has no vdapu
(2) GeForce 8400GS (feature-set-B)
(3) GeForce GTX 260 (feature-set-A)
(4) GeForce G210 (feature-set-C)

sample.avi video is here:
http://www.geexbox.org/~schroeterm/mplayer/sample.avi

Details of what feature set is present for what video card is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo#Table_of_PureVideo_.28HD.29_GPUs

Forum thread discussing this is here:
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/multimedia/453255-mplayer-vdpau-divx-fail.html

I hope these details help.  I don't use that specific way of launching
mplayer so this is NOT a problem for me, but clearly it does annoy some
users.

Lee
aka oldcpu