[packman] OBS 2.x and new repository layout

oldcpu oldcpu at opensuse-forums.org
Sat Jan 1 10:59:41 CET 2011

On 12/31/2010 01:08 PM, Pascal Bleser wrote:
> The "all-in-one" approach as it is right now is problematic because
> there is quite some duplication of packages that are available both in
> Packman and in other repositories that exist on d.o.o/repositories
> which, in turn, creates package conflicts and "ping-pong" for many users.
> Of course, if Packman were to be reduced to things that are only
> available on Packman, it would strongly reduce the problem.
>
>From a user-support perspective, an "option-2" with a split to a small
limited number of repositories, with a total number of packages similar
to what we see now would also be a viable approach. Of course as support
volunteers, we would need to understand the philosophical demarcation,
so that those of us who provide volunteer support in areas such as IRC
chat and the openSUSE forums (as our openSUSE contribution) could advise
and continually support our respective user bases.

Reference duplication between Packman and other repositories, while I
enjoy the benefit of other repositories (such as what can find with the
OBS), I don't always have as much faith in non-Packman repositories, as
it is not clear to me what their commitment is to keep their packages on
line and up to date.  The relative reliability of Packman packager
support for their packages has always been a strong point of Packman
packaged packages (in my view).  I don't know how much one can rely on
other 3rd party repositories (which have duplicate rpms) to keep their
content, relative to the reliability of Packman.  But thats likely
another topic, and as long as we see the same availability of Packman
packages with any new approach, as we see now, I believe it will be
workable from a support provision point of view.

Lee