[packman] [PM] vlc 1.1.7-1.pm.3.2 (openSUSE 11.1/i586)

Herbert Graeber herbert at links2linux.de
Mon Feb 14 23:38:59 CET 2011

Hi Diana!

vlc is Detlefs package, but I know the reasons, too.

Am Montag, 14. Februar 2011, 15:25:03 schrieb svwindbird:
> I noticed that the VLC package (1.1.7-1pm.3.2.i586) for
> Suse11.1 no longer has the VLC-aout-pulse program.
> Would it be possible for you to add the package back into
> the Packman repository.

The pulseaudio of openSUSE 11.1 is too old and updating of such a critical
component like pulseaudio cannot be done.

> I also notice that the VLC package for Suse11.3 has a
> Phonon backend. I was wondering if that is something
> that could be backported to 11.1.

The vlc phonon backend works only with actual versions of KDE and Qt. Even the
KDE 4.4 of openSUSE 11.3 is too old for it. It compiles but is rather
unstable.

If you are really in need of new versions of those components, you shall
update the rest of your system too. In this case you need openSUSE 11.3
together with one of the KDE repositories from buildservice, or wait for
openSUSE 11.4...

Herbert