[packman] opensuse 11.3 opal package (for ekiga) supporting H.263, H.264 and MPEG4

James Bottomley James.Bottomley at suse.de
Thu Feb 3 23:32:53 CET 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 22:54 +0100, Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
> 2011/2/3 James Bottomley <James.Bottomley at suse.de>:

> >> Notice the openSUSE package, from the GNOME:Factory project, already
> >> provides the 3.6.8 version with bconds for ffmpeg and x264. Probably
> >> would be better to have a single package and simply create a _link in
> >> Packman. The openSUSE package could use the split of
> >> "opal-nonfree-codecs" though. If you create a SR there I'm sure it
> >> will be accepted.
> >
> > Actually, I didn't notice this, but there are a few things that have to
> > be done to make the packages work together (it's not as simple as just
> > enabling them).
>
> "the package*s* work together"? You mean opal, ffmpeg an x264? I
> already created patches so the codecs work (but H264). Did you find
> any problem?

The only one I found beyond what's in the gnome bugzilla is that MPEG4
requires libffmpeg-devel to be installed because it loads libavcodec.so
which doesn't exist on a non-devel system.  That's fixable by altering
the loading system.

>  The package is built with the codecs support in the
> home:RedDwarf:multimedia repo (still I would like to see it in
> Packman), to easily test.
> The spec file (https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?project=GNOME:Factory&package=opal&file=opal.spec)
> explains everything using the format from
> http://old-en.opensuse.org/Packaging/Patches, upstream bug reports
> included.

OK, I can pretty much use that one then.

> > Can you tell me what an SR is?  The wiki just says contact the mailing
> > list if you want to add packages ... which is what I did.
>
> With SR I meant Submit Request
> (http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_Collaboration#Submit_your_changes_to_be_merged).
> But I was talking about the package in GNOME:Factory, not Packman
> (Packman, then, could create its package linking from the main
> openSUSE Build Service). I was trying to avoid creating a new,
> different, package in Packman.
>
> > work nicely.  I have an objective of getting H.264 working, since that's
> > what most video conference systems use.
>
> Since I don't really use videoconference I never tried for more than
> 10 minutes, but didn't seems obvious. A fix would be highly
> appreciated.

Well, based on the bugzilla, I did get H264 working impressively simply
by adding a local header for version 67, using it to compile the plugin
and tying the loader to libx264.so.67.  All the blockiness problems are
gone.

Of course, the diffs between the two x264.h are massive, so I still
can't work out how to get version 112 to function, sigh.

James