[packman] opensuse 11.3 opal package (for ekiga) supporting H.263, H.264 and MPEG4

Cristian Morales Vega cmorve69 at yahoo.es
Thu Feb 3 22:54:04 CET 2011

2011/2/3 James Bottomley <James.Bottomley at suse.de>:
> On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 20:11 +0100, Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
>> 2011/2/2 James Bottomley <James.Bottomley at suse.de>:
>> > I've got a set of patches to the current opal-3.6.6 which resolves
>> > compile issues and builds the additional codec set as
>> > opal-nonfree-codecs
>> >
>> > The source rpm for this is about 6.7MB (it's the full opal-3.6.6 package
>> > with the extra codec build).  Would packman distribute this, and what's
>> > the upload process if yes?
>>
>> Notice the openSUSE package, from the GNOME:Factory project, already
>> provides the 3.6.8 version with bconds for ffmpeg and x264. Probably
>> would be better to have a single package and simply create a _link in
>> Packman. The openSUSE package could use the split of
>> "opal-nonfree-codecs" though. If you create a SR there I'm sure it
>> will be accepted.
>
> Actually, I didn't notice this, but there are a few things that have to
> be done to make the packages work together (it's not as simple as just
> enabling them).

"the package*s* work together"? You mean opal, ffmpeg an x264? I
already created patches so the codecs work (but H264). Did you find
any problem? The package is built with the codecs support in the
home:RedDwarf:multimedia repo (still I would like to see it in
Packman), to easily test.
The spec file (https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?project=GNOME:Factory&package=opal&file=opal.spec)
explains everything using the format from
http://old-en.opensuse.org/Packaging/Patches, upstream bug reports
included.

> Can you tell me what an SR is?  The wiki just says contact the mailing
> list if you want to add packages ... which is what I did.

With SR I meant Submit Request
(http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_Collaboration#Submit_your_changes_to_be_merged).
But I was talking about the package in GNOME:Factory, not Packman
(Packman, then, could create its package linking from the main
openSUSE Build Service). I was trying to avoid creating a new,
different, package in Packman.

> work nicely.  I have an objective of getting H.264 working, since that's
> what most video conference systems use.

Since I don't really use videoconference I never tried for more than
10 minutes, but didn't seems obvious. A fix would be highly
appreciated.