[packman] Claws Mail 3.8.0 unleashed!!

Guido Berhoerster guido+links2linux.de at berhoerster.name
Sat Dec 31 15:04:00 CET 2011

* Smartysmart34 <smartysmart34 at web.de> [2011-12-31 13:31]:
> Am 31.12.2011 11:26, schrieb Guido Berhoerster:
> > ...people can get it either through the oss repo of
> > a released version or through Tumbleweed/Factory if they want to
> > live on the bleeding edge.
>
> Maybe someone can enlighten me on a specific topic: I am reading
> different Mails here and someone speaks of OBS (Build Service) others
> talk about OSS (which for me is the open Source software setup
> repository of a Suse installaton?)

I meant part of the released distribution above.

> So as long as a specific Software is available in the default setup
> repository, I'm fine with that. But if it is in Build service which for
> me seems like a bunch of different repos of various quality and unclear
> maintenance, then that's not an option.
>
> To get my Suse setup up and running i used to have oss, non-oss, update
> and packman in the past.
>
> Now I have (besides the 4 mentioned above):
>
> KDE:Extra for knutclient
> Security:Passwordmanagement for Keepassx
> KDE:Extra:KDE_Release_46_... for Luminance HDR
> Graphics:Opensuse for Rawtherapee

So the problem here is that these packages are not provided by the
regular distribution, ie. that they are not part of Factory
because there is no maintainer willing to maintain them there.
I don't see how this relates to Packman.

> Education for Scribus newer then 1.4 RC1

See below.

> Videolan for libdvdcss

This cannot be legally distributed in Germany or the US so there's
no way for Packman or openSUSE to provide it.

> And if I want to check now, where Scribus 1.4 RC6 can be found: it is
> available under
> - KDE:Release:47
> - KDE:Distro:Factory
> - KDE:UpdatedApps
> - KDE:Distro:Stable
> - Education
>
> And I'm only talking about Suse 11.4 here. This is close to ridiculous.
>
> Fact is, that Suse 11.4 delivered scribus 1.4 RC1 through the default
> setup-repository, which was almost unusable due to major bugs. And
> instead of delivering subsequent RCs (2, 3, 4, 5, 6 - which fixed most
> of the bugs) via update - where they belong - one is now forced to
> include suspicious OBS-repos.

In this particular case the right way to deal with this is to
file a bug and ask the maintainer to issue an update for 11.4.
Was this done and if so why was it rejected?

> I'd rather go for default oss, non-oss and update together with all the
> rest in packman.

If the packages you cited above actually had a maintainer willing to
maintain them properly they could go into Factory just as well,
again I think this issue has little to do with Packman.
--
Guido Berhoerster