[packman] RFC: improve MPlayer build in packman

Kshitij Kulshreshtha kkhere.geo+suse at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 23:27:29 CEST 2011

Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ...> writes:

> > > This would remove some features from MPlayer.
> >
> > Are you sure? Which features are those?
>
> Yes, some video filters cannot be built with shared libavcodec, please see
> configure for details.
>
> > Do they explicitly require static
> > linking with ffmpeg, instead of just using private header files?
>
> You cannot solve the problem you claim to have (I do not understand it) by
> including internal headers: They are internal because you must not include them
> to build a project that uses shared libavcodec.

Fortunately it is not a problem or a bug. The aim of the patch was to simply
reduce build load on the pmbs. If packman packagers don't want to use it for
whatever reasons, that's their choice.

If internal headers are internal, and you're so opposed to them being included
in external packages, why have you (you are a mplayer and ffmpeg developer)
still included them in these filters?

> > If you look into the patch in my last email, you will notice that all files
> > that were conditioned on defining FFMPEG_A are still built with this patch
> > using private header-files from the local copy of ffmpeg, but ffmpeg itself
> > is not compiled.
>
> So you suggest to provide users with a MPlayer version that is guaranteed to
> break if they decide to update their libavcodec library? I don't think that
> would be a good idea.

If a user uses packman's MPlayer it is almost certain that they're also using
packmans ffmpeg (libavcodec etc).

Regards.
--
Dr. Kshitij Kulshreshtha