[packman] AC3 encoder broken - simply noise

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Apr 12 17:04:53 CEST 2011

Linuxoid Oz <linuxoidoz at ...> writes:

> I spent 2 weeks trying to burn a DVD with K3B, DeVeDe, ManDVD, Kdenllive and
> don't remember what else in openSUSE-11.4 and KDE-4.6 (default install).
>
> If I re-encode audio (AC3) then the sound is just cracking noise on both a DVD
> player and computer.

Disclaimer:
I don't know anything about how "K3B, DeVeDe, ManDVD, Kdenllive" encode audio.

FFmpeg's AC3 encoder was changed to expect float (instead of int16). The new
encoder is faster on typical hardware (and at least not worse in quality). To
get the original behaviour, the programs have to open "ac3_fixed" instead of
"ac3". (And yes, I know I've claimed in the past we do not break ABI,)

Carl Eugen