[packman] ffmpeg not in monolithic repository

İsmail Dönmez idoenmez at suse.de
Wed Apr 6 09:15:45 CEST 2011

On Wednesday, April 06, 2011 09:14:06 AM todd rme wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 2:09 AM, İsmail Dönmez <idoenmez at suse.de> wrote:

> >> I don't think most users care about all this political stuff.  The
> >> question is: which currently is more stable and more feature-complete?
> >>  Several people now have said that ffmpeg is.  So far I have not seen
> >> any of the people here promoting libav disagree with that conclusion.
> >
> > Michael ATM just does blind merges and reverts them later on, I wouldn't
> > call that the most stable thing.
>
> So you don't disagree with his statement that the ffmpeg version have
> more features and the ffmpeg developers are fixing bugs present in the
> libav version?  I don't see you disagreeing with Michael's assessment
> of the technical state of the two projects.  If you don't disagree,
> then that means that ffmpeg currently is the better choice from a user
> experience standpoint.  And as I said, I think it is better to use the
> version that provides a better user experience.

Blindly merging won't give you a better software.

> > He is just trying to make use of libav developers'
> > free work.
>
> Yes, and packman, in turn, is trying to make use of the free work of
> dozens of projects.  Isn't that how open-source is supposed to work?
> No on is stopping the libav developers from using patches from ffmpeg.

Packman doesn't go out and thrash free software developers' work. Btw libav
cherry picks from FFmpeg's tree anyway, its not automated, done by hand as it
should be. So your point about FFmpeg being better is wrong.

--
İsmail Dönmez - openSUSE Booster
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany