[packman] ffmpeg not in monolithic repository

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 09:14:06 CEST 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 2:09 AM, İsmail Dönmez <idoenmez at suse.de> wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 05, 2011 06:54:59 PM todd rme wrote:

>> > Its your chance to show us that, we are wrong. You are a good leader and
>> > FFmpeg is actually better than libav.
>> >
>> > Regards.
>>
>> I don't think most users care about all this political stuff.  The
>> question is: which currently is more stable and more feature-complete?
>>  Several people now have said that ffmpeg is.  So far I have not seen
>> any of the people here promoting libav disagree with that conclusion.
>
> Michael ATM just does blind merges and reverts them later on, I wouldn't call
> that the most stable thing.

So you don't disagree with his statement that the ffmpeg version have
more features and the ffmpeg developers are fixing bugs present in the
libav version?  I don't see you disagreeing with Michael's assessment
of the technical state of the two projects.  If you don't disagree,
then that means that ffmpeg currently is the better choice from a user
experience standpoint.  And as I said, I think it is better to use the
version that provides a better user experience.

> He is just trying to make use of libav developers'
> free work.
Yes, and packman, in turn, is trying to make use of the free work of
dozens of projects.  Isn't that how open-source is supposed to work?
No on is stopping the libav developers from using patches from ffmpeg.

I think the situation here is pretty simple: go with ffmpeg until
libav has more features and/or more bug-fixes than the ffmpeg project.
There doesn't seem to be any disagreement that this point has not been
reached yet, so I am not sure where the problem lies.

-Todd