[packman] ffmpeg not in monolithic repository

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 18:54:59 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:43 AM, İsmail Dönmez <idoenmez at suse.de> wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 05, 2011 05:42:35 PM Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>> > but I won't discuss this anymore. Other distributions already
>> > switched to libav and it only made sense for Packman to do so too.
>>
>> So in summary, because 1 person who maintains both debian & ubuntu packages
>> of ffmpeg and who is a libav developer switched the packages he makes over
>> to his fork that he is a member of. everyone else switches too?
>
> Its your chance to show us that, we are wrong. You are a good leader and
> FFmpeg is actually better than libav.
>
> Regards.

I don't think most users care about all this political stuff.  The
question is: which currently is more stable and more feature-complete?
 Several people now have said that ffmpeg is.  So far I have not seen
any of the people here promoting libav disagree with that conclusion.

So I agree with Michael.  Go with the one that is more stable and more
feature-complete.  If it is true that ffmpeg has more features, more
stable features, and lacks no features from libav, then it is
definitely the better choice, no matter how you might feel personally
about the guy in charge of the project.

If you had some sort of technical reasons why libav is better then I
might be more inclined to agree with you, but so far you have provided
no indication that you disagree with Michael's technical reasons why
ffmpeg is better for users.  So until libav has surpassed ffmpeg in
the experience it gives to users, I think it is better to go with
ffmpeg.  Go with what provides the better user experience, not with
what happens to have developers in positions of power in particular
distributions.

-Todd