[packman] openSUSE 11.1 x86_64 Repo inconsistent?

Manfred Hollstein manfred.h at gmx.net
Thu Nov 25 08:09:32 CET 2010

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, 23:16:55 +0100, Pascal Bleser wrote:
> On 2010-11-24 15:03:32 (+0100), Manfred Hollstein <manfred.h at gmx.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, 01:09:40 +0100, rlee wrote:
> > > There was a long discussion on the legality of libfaac it turned out  that
> > > Packman could not keep its version of libfaac so it was switched off. The
> > > discussion was about ffmpeg. You'll find it under that subject in the
> > > archives, the date for the thread was around Nov 16.
> >
> > thanks for the reply. I've now looked at the thread and fully understand
> > that the package has been pulled and appreciate re-configuring/-building
> > packages like ffmpeg to not rely on libfaac, but, as MPlayer and avidemux,
> > at least, also require "libfaac.so.0", I hope similar tidying will be
> > done for such packages, too. Does anybody know, if so and when?
>
> Which mirror are you using for the Packman repository ?

I tried various mirrors (packman.jacobs-university.de, ftp.gwdg.de), but
all have the same problem. If you go to the faac page on the packman
site at

  <http://packman.links2linux.de/package/faac/192959>

and click on "1.28-2.pm.5.1 	openSUSE 11.1 	x86_64" you'll see that
there's only

  libfaac0-32bit-1.28-2.pm.5.1.x86_64.rpm 	Mi 17.11.2010 (vor 7 Tagen)

while for the other distribution/architecure combinations all packages
are there. It seems that the build for openSUSE 11.1 on x86_64 somehow
failed.

> As rlee pointed out, faac support has indeed been removed from ffmpeg,
> but the faac/libfaac packages are still built and published.
>
> I just checked on our primary server and the RPM packages are there
> indeed.

Yeah, but not for just this combination.

> Smells like something is fishy with the mirror (or the repository
> metadata).
>
> cheers
> --
>   -o) Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser at opensuse.org>