[packman] libavcore needs latest libavutil

Manfred Tremmel manfred at links2linux.de
Mon Nov 15 16:18:55 CET 2010

<pascal.bleser at opensuse.org> wrote:
> > On 2010-11-15 12:27:40 (+0000), Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at>
wrote:
> > > When I updated (only) ffmpeg today, libavcore was installed, but
> > > libavutil was not automatically updated, leading to this output:
> > > $ ffmpeg
> > > ffmpeg: relocation error: /usr/lib64/libavcore.so.0: symbol
> > > av_default_item_name, version LIBAVUTIL_50 not defined in file
> > > libavutil.so.50 with link time reference
> >
> > Seems like ffmpeg is missing explicit Requires on the libraries
> > that spawn out of it.
>
> On a side not: thank you very much ffmpeg upstream to not care about
> releases and proper SONAMEs, this is really a mess we have to take
>  care of as packagers, and it's a major pain in the bottom *sigh*

This never should happen if you do a "zypper up" or "zypper dup" is
done, because there's allways updated the complete package. If ffmpeg
upstream changes api without increasing SONAME and people update only a
package by hand we could only handle this by adding a hard codedd
Requires entry. This shouldn't happen normaly and I've never got a
bugreport about this before. I don't think this realy is a problem, so I
don't think we should change it.

> > > Allow me to repeat that Packman currently violates FFmpeg
> > > copyrights by distributing a non-free binary (that may not be
> > > redistributed). Note that the GPL (which Packmans version of
> > > FFmpeg contains code for) requires all parts of the software to
> > > be licensed under the GPL (or a compatible software license)
> > > which is not the case for the binary Packman distributes
> > > (=Packman risks to permanently loose the right to distribute
> > > GPL'ed software in this package).
> >
> > You mean because of faac ?
>
> AFAICS, ffmpeg is built without faac support. At least it is now.

It's build with libfaac support! But I can't see the problem. Everything
inside the ffmpeg package is part of the ffmpeg tarball (libfaac.c
includes lgpl licence), even the includes out of libfaac which are
included are lgpl licencesd. It's linked against a shared library
(libfaac) which contains lgpl and proprietary code like it's provided
from the faac project. If compiling gpl software against proprietary
libs is not allowed, every Windows and MacOS GPL software is illegal
because they all link direct or indirect against proprietary libs of the
underlying Operation System.

If there is a licence problem, its libfaac itselve, not ffmpeg.

--
Machs gut    | http://www.iivs.de/schwinde/buerger/tremmel/

Manfred      | http://packman.links2linux.de/