[packman] Solid actions for DVD players (VLC, SMPlayer, Kaffeine)

Martin Schlander martin.schlander at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 15:34:37 CET 2010

Hey

As you may or may not be aware, it's possible to create actions for the Recent
Devices Notifier in KDE 4.x fairly easily by installing proper *.desktop files
to /usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions/. So for example when you put in a video
DVD, the device notifier will offer an action to play the DVD with your
favourite video player.

I've attached such files for SMPlayer, VLC and Kaffeine. I wonder if the
respective maintainers would be interested in adding them to the packages. If
you have contact with upstream, you might even want to ask them to include the
solid actions in official releases.

I'm aware packman doesn't have kaffeine, but maybe someone would be willing to
create a package with only the .desktop file for Kaffeine as a sort of add-on
- as I don't think I can convince kde-maintainer @suse to add the action to
official packages.

Of course if the user doesn't have libdvdcss it'll fail - but I think most
people will have it via the 1-click, and the rest would probably realize that
they're missing some form of codec.

All the best

Martin