[packman] [PM] XBMC 9.11-1.pm.1.6 (openSUSE 11.2/i586)

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek jakub.rusinek at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 22:11:55 CET 2010

Hi,

I thought there _must_ be something wrong with your packages.

Multiple people on forums (both openSUSE and XBMC) report, that packaged by
you XBMC crashes and vanilla one doesn't.

Just take a look at fresh one here:
http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?p=501161

I was getting the same log and debug backtrace since I have upgraded to
openSUSE 11.2.

[Here I wanted to scream, until I resolved the bug, while was writing this e-
mail.]

Multiple times I shared this link and will do this again and again, until
somebody gets interested: http://xbmc.org/trac/ticket/8187

Isn't it a shame, that openSUSE is in XBMC's FAQ one of the proud distros,
which provides packages, but article author notes, that RPMs didn't work for
him?

http://xbmc.org/wiki/?title=HOW_TO_install_XBMC_on_openSUSE_Linux

I have even provided the patches and %configure flags to XBMC, so they could
check for bugs, but they ignored them, as they don't have to support each
custom patched build.

http://xbmc.org/trac/ticket/8187#comment:8

I won't ever compile XBMC on my own. It's power and time loss. You're telling
you give RPMs, then you're responsible.

And how I resolved the bug: I removed DeviceKit-* stack and left HAL.

Can you include HAL dependency in .spec, or conflict with DeviceKit so nobody
else gets such stupid bug?

--
Best regards,
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek