[packman] OBS 2.x and new repository layout

Manfred Tremmel manfred at links2linux.de
Fri Dec 31 18:36:34 CET 2010

Am Freitag, 31. Dezember 2010 schrieb Pascal Bleser:
> On 2010-12-31 14:36:57 (+0000), Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at>
wrote:
> > Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser at ...> writes:
> > > So the idea with "option 3" would be to provide both:
> > > - we would keep the current approach in the "regular" repository
> > > (or repositories)
> > > - we would also *additionally* provide a frozen repository with
> > > the "essential" packages (as said, ffmpeg, mplayer, mad,
> > > gstreamer, ...), and only update those when there are critical
> > > bugfixes or security fixes
> >
> > (I of course can't speak for gstreamer - we believe it simply
> > serves no real-world purpose and that is of course meant
> > polemically - and I don't think any Packman user needs mad, I at
> > least can't imagine a situation. Was mad really updated lately?)
> > There is nothing "stable" that you could use as "frozen repository"
> > in FFmpeg and MPlayer (there were only too few updates to Packman
> > MPlayer in the last months). So far, the so-called "releases"
> > always were ancient (and therefore unusable) at the time of the
> > "release". They only exist because it allows to add FFmpeg to the
> > Ubuntu repositories. End-users should never get in touch with them
> > (and no bug-reports are accepted for anything else than latest
> > svn). While this may sound as if, it is not meant polemically, I am
> > just trying to stop you from doing something that does not help any
> > user (and you seem to agree that it would mean some extra work)!
>
> With "stable" I did _not_ mean a "release", at least not for ffmpeg
>  and mplayer which don't make any releases anyway.

ffmpeg makes releases 0.6.1 is released in october. But between 0.5 and
0.5.1 they found security holes which where fixed fast in svn bot it's
taken two month until 0.5.1 was released so I've desided to build svn
snapshots and not to wait for releases.

> I meant "something that works", and keep it at that version instead
>  of updating it all the time.
>
> If we have a combination of ffmpeg, mplayer, vlc, mad, gstreamer and
>  a few other things that _do_ work, there is no reason for most
>  people to always get the latest version. It works, that's good
>  enough for most.

Mediaplayers are very security problematic. If you use browserplugins
which include MPlayer, xine or VLC you can't be sure not te get an
infected stream. I think it's importend to keep up to date and for
myselve it's not important what's available as packman package (if svn
builds my installed version never gets older then 24 hours). That's the
reason I don't have 0.6 or 0.6.1 final package on packman but svn
snapshots from time to time. I don't have the time to analyse all the
checkins and backport them, sorry. If packman wants a frozen ffmpeg
packages with (or without) backports, we need another maintainer for
this package.

--
Machs gut    | http://www.iivs.de/schwinde/buerger/tremmel/

Manfred      | http://packman.links2linux.de/