[packman] OBS 2.x and new repository layout

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Dec 31 15:36:57 CET 2010

Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser at ...> writes:

> So the idea with "option 3" would be to provide both:
> - we would keep the current approach in the "regular" repository (or
>   repositories)
> - we would also *additionally* provide a frozen repository with the
>   "essential" packages (as said, ffmpeg, mplayer, mad, gstreamer, ...),
>   and only update those when there are critical bugfixes or security
>   fixes

(I of course can't speak for gstreamer - we believe it simply serves no
real-world purpose and that is of course meant polemically - and I don't think
any Packman user needs mad, I at least can't imagine a situation. Was mad really
updated lately?)
There is nothing "stable" that you could use as "frozen repository" in FFmpeg
and MPlayer (there were only too few updates to Packman MPlayer in the last
months). So far, the so-called "releases" always were ancient (and therefore
unusable) at the time of the "release". They only exist because it allows to add
FFmpeg to the Ubuntu repositories. End-users should never get in touch with them
(and no bug-reports are accepted for anything else than latest svn).
While this may sound as if, it is not meant polemically, I am just trying to
stop you from doing something that does not help any user (and you seem to agree
that it would mean some extra work)!

If you have a bandwidth problem, I suggest to remove win32-codecs, I don't think
anybody needs it and it can be downloaded from mplayerhq.

Carl Eugen

PS: There will be a version bump for libavcodec etc. in the not too far away
future and that will of course change your situation slightly. But since it is
unknown when it happens and it did not happen for the last two (?) years, I
suggest you care about it when it happens. (And such a bump has of course no
effect on Packman MPlayer.)