[packman] OBS 2.x and new repository layout

oldcpu oldcpu at opensuse-forums.org
Fri Dec 31 12:22:42 CET 2010

This is a subject a bit 'dear' to my openSUSE use, as I've always held
the view that the packages packaged by the Packman packagers was
possibly the main reason why I have remained with openSUSE all these years.

I am VERY grateful to the efforts of the 3rd party packagers who package
for openSUSE, and in particular to those who belong to the Packman
packager group.

My preferences as a somewhat selfish user (in order of preference from
what I would like the most, to the least) would be:

Option-3 : debianista

Option-1 : all-in-one

Option-2 :  divide and conquer

Having stated the above, I am concerned "Option-3" might make the work
load such that the packaging suffers from a quantity perspective, and so
Option-3 could easily be 2nd priority to Option-1 in my books.

I am concerned that our user base (not our packager, I mean our user
base) is not knowledgeable enough to implement the repositories in the
Option-2 approach, despite the best/superb efforts of our packagers to
make it easy for them. Hence I'm not in favour of Option-2.  I like the
big "all-in-one" repository approach.

Lee
aka oldcpu