[packman] Packman allegro conflicts with openSUSE 11.3 liballeg4_4

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 16:37:51 CET 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 12:55 PM, todd rme <toddrme2178 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Packman provides allegro ver 4.2, and many packages (particularly many
> games) depend on this version specifically.  However, the openSUSE
> 11.3 games repository uses and is built against liballeg4_4 ver 4.4.1,
> which obsoletes any older allegro.
>
> Since the openSUSE version obsoletes the packman version, and openSUSE
> packages won't install with the packman allegro and packman packages
> won't install with the openSUSE liballeg4_4, this means that in many
> cases you have to pick between having openSUSE-provided games and
> packman-provided games.  Since there are many games that are only
> present in one of the two repositories and depend on some part of
> allegro, this means that no matter what you do there are many games
> you cannot install.
>
> I am not sure what the proper solution is, if there even is one, but
> it is an issue for users.
>
> -Todd

Any progress on this?  Having a hard incompatibility between the
packman versions of libraries and the official openSUSE versions of
libraries seems to be a pretty serious issue to me.

I am not sure how your buildservice is set up, but at least in the
normal one it is possible to simply mirror the versions of packages
from the official repos.  For allegro this would make your games
automatically compatible with the openSUSE games repo.  But I am not
sure this is possible with a third-party buildservice.  At the very
least copying their version seems like a good idea.

-Todd