[packman] problem with k3b

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 16:28:06 CET 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 2:57 AM, Markus Kohm <markus.kohm at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 16 Dezember 2010 schrieb Ian House:
>> I would really like to get this issue resolved as I am unable to use k3b
>>  the way things are..
>
> It's not a problem of k3b but of wodim or the device. Are you member of group
> cdrom? AFAIK you have to be to habe write access to /dev/sr0
>
> Have a look at `ls -l /dev/sr0':
>
> brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 17. Dez 08:18 /dev/sr0
>
> To find out, if you are member of the group of /dev/sr0, use command `groups'.
> It should show something like: "users disk cdrom" and maybe others. To change
> your membership you may use YaST.
>
> Markus

There is another, completely unrelated problem with k3b.  The packman
version of k3b has a hard dependency on HAL.  With KDE 4.6, the betas
of which are now in KDE:Distro:Factory, HAL is no longer needed (in
fact with the current betas it interferes with basic functionality).
This means people are uninstalling it and will continue to do so in
greater number as time goes on, which prevents them from using the
packman version k3b.  Is there any way you can get rid of the hard
dependency on HAL?

-Todd