[packman] [PM] b43-firmware 4.150.10.5-1.pm.1.1 (openSUSE 11.2/noarch)

AxelKöllhofer AxelKoellhofer at web.de
Sat Apr 24 15:49:08 CEST 2010

> Does the RPM distribute the cut firmware? If so, I would suggest not to
> do that.
> I would go another way. I would package b43-fwcutter and the original(!)
> wl.o driver into an RPM and cut the firmware out on the user's machine.

Good idea && done.

The RPM now installs the respective files available from

http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/

and "cuts" the firmware during postinstall.

As b43-fwcutter is available on the installation media and will be installed automatically during installation of
openSUSE if a b43/b43legacy-device is found, I did not add b43-fwcutter to the package itself but set it as a
Requirement for installation of the firmware RPMs.

This should still do the trick without making things harder for users without working internet access on their target
machine, thereby not being able to run "/usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware" but instead have to manually donload and
install the RPM to get the firmware in an easier way than manually cutting the firmware as described on

http://www.linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#device_firmware_installation

Greetings,

Axel K.