[packman] How to help out the Packman repo?

Tim Edwards tkedwards at fastmail.com.au
Mon Nov 23 09:42:18 CET 2009

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 12:34 +0100, "Pascal Bleser"
<pascal.bleser at skynet.be> wrote:
> It was quite complicated in the past. Now that we switched to using OBS,
> it has indeed become much easier, as it doesn't require giving full SSH
> access to the build host.
>
> Nevertheless, it is a matter of trust, as anything you'd package would
> land in the Packman repository, which is used by quite a lot of people.
>
> What we've done already for two contributors is to give them an account
> on our OBS, but only to their home: project at first, where they can
> package stuff. We review those packages and then push them to our "main"
> project. Note that only packages from our "main" project are pushed to
> our repository. Stuff built in home: projects doesn't.
>
> We can also make use of OBS' collaboration features that way (submit
> requests -> review the diff -> apply -> push to repo).
>
> I mean, sure, if someone is willing to take away the huge pain in the
> bottom that is building Deluge, be my guest ;)

Yes ok :) I've rebuilt based on your 1.1.0 SRPM with the 1.2.0_rc3 which
is the latest version on their website. I've also gone through their
list of dependencies and ensured they're all listed explicitly as
Requires in the spec. The deluged from the resulting RPM is currently
running on my home system fine (I'll have to wait till I get home to
check the GUI).

> But we definitely need to think of some incubation time/mechanism before
> we allow people to push packages to our repository. It is way too easy
> to push malware onto several tens of thousands of people with RPM
> packages.

This sounds like a good idea.

> For getmail, there is no way we are going to have it in Packman, as it
> is already packaged and maintained elsewhere (actually, I maintained a
> few getmail versions there). That would simply be duplicating work,
> useless, pointless, and creating confusion.
>
> What would you like to maintain ? (even though using a nickname in your
> emails certainly doesn't improve the trust level ;))

I realise you were replying to the other guy but I'll give maintaining
deluge a try, if you think your project needs help then let me know how
to get started.

Tim