[packman] pd-gui??

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky zznmeb at gmail.com
Mon May 18 21:56:29 CEST 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 12:25 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
<zznmeb at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just installed Pure Data (pd-0.42.3-0.pm.1 x86_64) on my openSUSE
> 11.1 X86_64 system. I didn't see any errors, but when I try to start
> it up, it can't find 'pd-gui':
>
> znmeb at DreamTimeLinux:~> pd
> sh: /usr/bin/pd-gui: No such file or directory
>
> Using the magic of "locate", I found that it's getting installed as
> /usr/lib64/pd/bin/pd-gui. So I put a symlink in:
>
> # ln -s /usr/lib64/pd/bin/pd-gui /usr/bin/pd-gui
>
> That's a bit better:
>
>> pd
> tcl: /usr/bin/pd.tk: can't open script
> invalid command name "pdtk_pd_startup"
>
> but there's still some stuff missing, apparently. Where do I report a bug?

Good news!! Installing the i586 version of pd fixed it, apparently by
bringing in the 32-bit versions of tcl and tk! So this is probably
going to be easy to fix. Building Pure Data and all of its extensions
on a 64-bit Linux system is not a slam dunk upstream -- there are
manual hacks for Debian/Ubuntu but they don't even have an openSUSE
build process, let alone one for 64-bit systems. So for now I'm
planning to stick with the working 32-bit version. :)