[packman] [PM] tightvnc 1.3.9-90.pm.1 (openSUSE 11.1/i586)

Wolfgang Rosenauer wolfgang at rosenauer.org
Wed Mar 25 12:39:17 CET 2009

Andrea Florio schrieb:
> Wolfgang Rosenauer ha scritto:
>> Hi Andrea,
>
>> I'm trying (once again) to use the PackMan repository. In the past I was
>> too scared about stuff which is replaced from the official distro while
>> it wasn't needed actually.
>
>> And so after enabling packman on my 11.1 system and looking at the
>> zypper lu -a
>> output I found "tightvnc" which is the same version number as the one
>> delivered in openSUSE.
>> Unfortunately the description on the website
>> http://packman.links2linux.de/package/tightvnc
>> doesn't tell me what the difference is.
>
>> So what's the story with that package being in Packman?
>

>> Thanks,
>>  Wolfgang
>

> the package is exactly the same (same spec file too) but as you can read
> from the changelog:
>
> %changelog
> * Sat Jan 24 2009 - Andrea Florio <andrea at opensuse.org>
> - added xtightvncviewer symlink

That brings us to the weakness of rpm-md repos. I want to read the
changelog prior to installation.
As I know you (as in Packman) can't fix that I would like to do a
feature request:
- add the changelog to the website for every package as I can't find any
  reference on http://packman.links2linux.de/package/tightvnc

> has been added only a symlink:
>
> ln -s %{_bindir}/vncviewer %buildroot/%{_bindir}/xtightvncviewer
>

> because some applications (like gnome-rdp) always refer to
> xtightvncviewer instead of vncviewer

Thanks for the info.
This change also was submitreq'uested for openSUSE:Factory, right?

> btw i don't think our packages are so bad. :-P

I don't think they are that bad. I just don't want to have PM packages
on my system if they are not really needed for features I'm looking for
since the update policy is completely different and they clutter my system.

Thanks,
 Wolfgang