[packman] [PM] broadcom-wl 5.10.79.10-5.pm.8 (openSUSE 11.1/i586)

Andrea Florio andrea at links2linux.de
Sun Mar 15 00:59:54 CET 2009

Brian Masinick ha scritto:
> I have openSUSE 11.1 installed on a Gateway PA6A 17" laptop, really more of a
> mobile desktop.  This particularly hardware has been very Linux friendly, and
> including openSUSE, I have eight distinct Linux instances.  Except for openSUSE,
> all of them are presently working with the Broadcom 4311 network card that is
> installed.
>
> Though I was surprised that it apparently wasn't there, I went out and
> explicitly installed the Broadcom firmware for this device.  That has not been
> the end of my issues.  The standard "network manager" doesn't want to start up,
> even when I use knetworkmanager.  I figured, "Fine, I'm not that keen on
> networkmanager anyway, I will just go out and get wicd, which always works".
> That has not been an easy exercise either.  I tried several incantations, and
> finally grabbed the source, built it and installed it because the packages in
> various repositories just did not want to cooperate.  To the best of my
> knowledge, I have wicd 1.5.9 now installed.  I say, "To the best of my
> knowledge" because these components are clearly not working together as they
> should.  What is so perplexing is that I have previously had scans correctly
> scan the wireless network in my area, and the scans are seeing what's out there
> correctly, including my equipment and the neighbors around me.  I see it all
> fine, and I've had the software SAY that it is connected, but the network just
> won't work.  If I turn around and enable the wired network, everything is fine.
>
> Therefore I conclude that something is still not quite right, but I have no idea
> what to look for to correct it further.  Yet if I simply reboot to another Linux
> instance, as I have now, the wireless hardware most certainly is working correctly.
>
> My expertise with SUSE based tools is limited.  I could use some assistance if
> you are willing and able.
>
> Would you recommend removing any software and starting over, or what steps would
> you take?  What additional information would be helpful to perform some
> diagnostic action?
>

> lspci
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT
> Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS,
> 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
> 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML
> Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition
> Audio Controller (rev 02)
> 00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1
> (rev 02)
> 00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2
> (rev 02)
> 00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI
> Controller #1 (rev 02)
> [...]

your card is perfectly supported by broadcom poprietary drivers, but
because of legal stuffs (kernel is GPL, broadcom wl use kernel headers,
but include a proprietary blog) novell decide to avoid any legal
problem. both, Network Manager and yast works fine with that driver. i
never used wicd)

all informations you need can be found here:

http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Network_Adapters_(Wireless)/Broadcom_BCM43xx#Broadcom_STA_Driver