[packman] xvid really slow

Ronny Peine RonnyPeine at gmx.de
Tue Jan 20 20:51:47 CET 2009

Hello PackMan-Team,

i often transcode recordings from my tv card and i am using avidemux to cut
and then transcode it to xvid. After doing this for years on Gentoo, i knew
that it gives about 7 fps in the second pass with my settings for an mpeg2
video in 720x576 resolution as input. I now tested this same scenario on my
laptop with OpenSUSE 11.0 x86_64. My Laptop has a Core 2 Dou with 2.1 GHz. My
Gentoo machine is an old Athlon XP 2600+ (1.9 GHz). So i expected at least
about 2 or 3 times the performance for my laptop compared against my old
machine in transcoding. But on the laptop it was only about 6 fps with the
exact same settings, which made me curious. I tried to reproduce this with
the cmdline tool transcode to eliminate the possibility that it is tied to
avidemux. With transcode i get the same bad performance. I also eliminated
filters and audio encoding, still bad performance. So xvid is the culprit.
Using no export formats lead to a very fast decoding of the mpeg2 with 420fps
in transcode, so the decoding part is not the problem. Are there any
misoptimizations in xvid or something like this?

Following interesting packages (all from PackMan-Repo) are installed on my
OpenSUSE laptop:
xvidcore-1.2.1-0.pm.0
xvid4conf-1.12-0.pm.1
libxvidcore4-1.2.1-0.pm.0