[packman] Xvid Bug Report

Manfred Tremmel manfred at links2linux.de
Tue Feb 24 19:42:45 CET 2009

Am Sonntag 22 Februar 2009 schrieb Joseph Shmo:
> A bug has appeared in the Opensuse Forums regarding the Packman xvid
> codec available for Opensuse 11.1 for 64bit systems.  It seems to
> affect 64bit systems only, and consists of large pink/purple
> "splotches" that appear in encoded videos when using the xvid codec.

As it looks like, it is a AMD64 specific problem in the assembler part,
I've uploaded a new xvid package without using the assembler part
(--disable-assembly configure option). I'm not able to reproduce or fix
this problem myselfe, so maybe it's the best option to contact the
author to get the problem localized and fixed in detail.
For now, we have a slow but working x86_64 package.

Users without this problem may keep the old version (set it as tabu in
YaST) to keep the higher performance.

I've done a little performance test, 2 pass encoding of a 1:44 minutes
(2608 Frames) long trailer from a DVD encded with dvd::rip:

1. with assembler part enabled:
   pass 1: 24 seconds
   pass 2: 58 seconds

2. with disabled assembler part: