[packman] libxine1/libxine1-codecs problems with conflict dialogs

Manfred Tremmel manfred at links2linux.de
Thu Feb 5 20:50:23 CET 2009

Am Donnerstag 05 Februar 2009 schrieb Martin Schlander:
> 1-click installation as well as manual installation of libxine1 and
> libxine1- codecs on openSUSE 11.1 triggers a conflict dialog these
> days regarding architecture change from i586 -> i686, or in some
> cases yast/zypp seems to just keep the official crippled libxine1
> 1.1.15 without asking as a "solution" to the "problem".

Simply select the first option displayed and this should be solved.

> This makes 1-click multimedia installs pretty useless/scary for n00bs
> and non- techies, and even manual installation of these crucial
> packages is a bit tricky for n00bs. I consider this a serious
> problem.

I don't think this is a unsolveable problem for someone who managed to
install linux.

> While the solver being too damn sensitive is prolly the core reason
> for this particular problem - I wonder if you guys could fix it
> somehow - for example by simply dropping i686 versions for the codec
> stuff. Is there really any good reason to have those at all?

The i586 architecture don't guaranty there's mmx available, i686 do,
this makes a recognizeable speed difference. If you think, your
computer is fast enought, this doesn't matter, it's great for you. But
if you ever have tried to watch HD-Videos (1080p) on a PentiumM 1,6
GHz, you will see the difference between (nearly) smoth playback and
stottering video.

--
Machs gut    | http://www.iivs.de/schwinde/buerger/tremmel/

Manfred      | http://packman.links2linux.de/