[packman] Wanting to upload a package

Henne Vogelsang hvogel at hennevogel.de
Fri Nov 28 12:15:58 CET 2008

Hi Isaak,

On Thursday, November 27, 2008 at 21:08:29, Isaak Malik wrote:

> Oh I see, the page on the packman website just mentioned to request the
> details by contacting the mailing list, that's why I didn't mention any
> details.
>
> I'm just a simple OpenSUSE user and wanted to upload the truecrypt package
> which the truecrypt developers compile themselves, it's available at
> www.truecrypt.org (download the binary file and extract the .rpm via the
> command line).
>
> Why upload it? So other SUSE users can easily find the package via Yast and
> perform easy upgrades when a newer version is available. I don't necessarily
> want to do this myself, if anyone else feels like doing this I'd appreciate
> it.

Sorry we are not a package hosting service but a group of maintainers
that care for a repository of packages. Adding something to packman
needs way more then just uploading it. You need to adapt the package to
openSUSEs needs, maintain it for several versions, fix packaging bugs
and so on. You can do that for truecrypt if you want, but this needs
plenty of time and knowledge about packaging and so on. Are you willing
to do that?

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang,      http://hennevogel.de