[packman] gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad and libgstapp

Toni toni at links2linux.de
Fri Nov 21 15:31:21 CET 2008

Am Freitag, 21. November 2008 schrieb Cristian Morales Vega:
> Looking at http://packman.links2linux.org/package/gstreamer010-plugins-bad
> and http://packman.links2linux.org/package/gstreamer010-plugins-base I
> see the "-plugins-base" source rpm creates libgstinterfaces and
> "-plugins-bad" creates libgstapp. I suppose, with the objective of
> avoiding binary incompatibilities, "-plugins-base" has a manual
> requirement to the same version of libgstinterfaces, but
> "-plugins-bad" doesn't does the same with libgstapp.
>
> $ rpm -qR gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base | grep libgstinterfaces
> libgstinterfaces-0_10-0 >= 0.10.21
> libgstinterfaces-0.10.so.0()(64bit)
> $ rpm -qR gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad | grep libgstapp
> libgstapp-0.10.so.0()(64bit)
>

> I have no idea about what libgstinterfaces and libgstapp do. But since
> it looks suspicious... is this an error?

the comment in the spec-file indicates:
# Core modules may depend on new enough libraries:
Requires:		libgstinterfaces-0_10-0 >= %{version}

this was added to avoid problems if the library-so-name won't change and a new
release is provided. This assures that libgstinterfaces matches always the
same version of the base package.

The libgstapp packages was introduced later, so this additional requirement
should be added in this package too to assure also the match of the
bad-plugins with the underlaying shared library version. I'll add this in the
next release.

The libgst* - packages contains only the shared libraries, no plugins, no
binaries. The are named according shared library policy.

So it is not an error, and its not a feature, perhaps I was a little bit
paranoid to have less problems in the dependency hell :)

Hope this explantation help you to understand the "problem".

--
have fun
Toni