[packman] please, keep more than 1 version

Miguel Angel Alvarez maacruz at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 19:50:29 CET 2008

Hi all,
First of all, forgive me for breaking the thread, but I wasn't subscribed to
the list.

Continuing with my argumentation...
I have put libxine-kaffeine just as a recent example. Some times is another
package, sometimes everything works nicely, and the issues may come from
upstream (just like in libxine), or happen only on some configurations.

package management (or rsync) doesn't solve the issue with new installations,
and it seems that yast in 10.3 doesn't keep a local copy anymore (unless
there is some config option I have missed).

About the disk space needed, let's do some numbers:
In the 10.3 branch: SRPM 5.2 GB, i586 3.9 GB, i686 26 MB, noarch 3.4 GB, ppc
3.3 GB, x86_64 3.3 GB. That's 19.1 GB. Let's say 20 GB
The four opensuse branchs are about 80 GB. That's some space, but not so much
by today's standards.

So, what if I donate a 250 GB (IDE or SATA2, I'm poor :-) ) hard disk? That
would make room enough for two more releases, and let plenty of free space.

About the management issue, I beg to differ. I think it could be easily done
with a script (bash, some python in the worst case), no need to do anything
by hand, just by using symlinks to keep track of the n releases (to be fair,
I still haven't dug deeply into the issue, but I can)

Regards.

--
Don't see the world through a window, be open{source}minded, and be free :-)