[packman] please, keep more than 1 version

Miguel Angel Alvarez maacruz at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 22:57:03 CET 2008

Hi all,
Sometimes a package is broken, at least in some circumstances, for whatever
reason that may or may not be under control of the packman team.
For example, the libxine1-1.1.9 update broke kaffeine.
Unfortunately, the repository only offers the last package, and once it is
installed and you realize that there is a problem, it is too late to go back
to your known working configuration.
That's why I'm suggesting you to keep at least one release (not minor rebuild)
before the actual one. Please, it is not so much disk space on the servers or
management overhead, and it would provide great benefit to us all.
Otherwise, the only sane option would be to manually download the packages to
keep a local copy just in case. And that only works for my local system; if
I'm evangelizing or helping a friend to upgrade (many times remotely) I have
to manually upload big packages through my sluggish upstream, which may take
hours. Not to mention the frustration that a broken system can cause to a
newbie.

--
Don't see the world through a window, be open{source}minded, and be free :-)