Fw: [packman] How can I get involved in contributing packages?

Detlef Reichelt detlef at die-mafia.de
Tue Feb 5 20:26:45 CET 2008

Start weitergeleitete Nachricht:

Datum: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 12:12:57 -0700
Von: "Kirk Coombs" <kcoombs at gmail.com>
An: "Detlef Reichelt" <detlef at die-mafia.de>
Betreff: Re: [packman] How can I get involved in contributing packages?

Detlef,

> Who are you? ;)

I am a long-time SUSE user (since ~2002-2003).  I have used Packman
for several years and greatly appreciate the support you give the SUSE
community.

I completed a degree in computer engineering at Brigham Young
University (Utah) then worked several years at Novell doing Linux
server support (first online forums, then front-line support, then
back-line support). I am currently going to law school pursuing a
career in Intellectual Property.

I am quite certain I am the only person at the law school who runs
Linux as the primary OS on their laptop. ;-)

> What RPMs do you build?

I have really just began building RPMs. I have long had the necessary
background skills (shell scripting, knowledge of building/compiling,
etc.) but have just recently looked into putting together SPEC files
and creating RPMs.

I really don't have any overarching goals or projects that I am
working on.  I would mostly just build RPMs for projects that I use
and encounter that don't yet have SUSE RPMs available.

Right now, I have built RPMs for the games Tile World
(http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/software/tworld/) and Pingus
(http://pingus.seul.org/ - latest version is not available in the
openSUSE repository, new levels!).

You can find the RPMs, as built on my machine (not signed or anything),
here:

http://kirkmyth.dyndns.org/tworld-1.3.0-3.i586.rpm
http://kirkmyth.dyndns.org/tworld-1.3.0-3.src.rpm
http://kirkmyth.dyndns.org/pingus-0.7.2-1.i586.rpm
http://kirkmyth.dyndns.org/pingus-0.7.2-1.src.rpm

> Are you willing to support you RPMs for a long time?

Yes.

> You couldn't build your RPMs on openSUSE Build Service?

I have Tile World built for 10.3 on the Build Service
(http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:kcoombs99). I have not
yet worked out all the build service kinks for Pingus.

I am sure these would build/run on 10.2 as well, I just haven't yet
built a 10.2 VM yet to test them on.

I would like to place them on Packman because it seems to be more
widely used than the build service...

> Thats all, hope we get a new member!

Me too!

--Kirk